Saturday, April 07, 2007

The source of the Nile - LETTER FROM JON




Subject: the source of the Nile

Hi folks, I'm in Jinja now and got a few minutes to write a quick email.

I'm in Jinja, the traditional source of the Nile, it's very beautiful and a nice town. peace corps took us on a little field trip here today, and it's good to get a day off from training. we also went to Mabira forest, which the government is trying to sell to a sugar company, which is a real shame, it is a real ecological hot spot and the last remaining forest in central Uganda, a country with the world's highest deforestation rate...

Training is going onward, I'm very glad it'll be over soon. The language is impossible, but I am making a little progress. I can greet someone, order food and tell them I like Uganda very much. It's frustrating talking to volunteers who have been here a year, they still can't even hold a basic conversation...

Anyway, still eating lots of banana mush at every meal, although they gave us pizza today. my host family is very nice, and I have a nice room to myself. they are training me for the business program although I wont be using much of what I've learned in the field. I find out where I'll be placed next Friday and I'll visit my site in two weeks. I get sworn in the 10th of may, which is when I'll officially be a peace corps volunteer. That is also the same day that we are sent to our villages. I'll be in a medium sized town in the central region.

All the other trainees are very nice, some are even more well traveled that me. I am almost the oldest one though. none has dropped out yet which is impressive since we are 50 strong.

I went to a introduction ceremony last week which was very interesting. It is basically an engagement ceremony where the man comes with his dowry to the home of his new bride. It started 3 hours late and the groom was another 2 hours late after that. When he got there the brides side made fun of them for the first 20 minutes. the bride and grooms side sat opposite to each-other and only one spokesman from each side could speak. In all, it was 7 hours long, during which time all the Ugandans sat patiently in the hot sun. I wore the traditional garb with a sports coat over it. I was dying. The dowry was one cow plus lots of other loot. I have lots of pictures which I'll post once I get a decent Internet connection.

Anyway, I guess that's it for now, hope all is well back in the states

cheers, Jon

No comments: